Friday, December 18, 2009

A Year in Photography

I received my camera for Christmas in 2008. That means this month, I've had my camera for a full year.

I've not had much of a chance lately to take pictures, as my schedule has been hectic, trying to get everything ready for the holidays. So instead, I thought it would be a great idea for me to post a year in review of pictures. The following are 52 pictures taken in the last 52 weeks (Though not one a week, sorry), to commemorate the first anniversary of my camera. None of the pictures from December are going to show on this (As I've yet to get them uploaded yet), so this post spans from December 2008-November 2009.

Warning! This is going to be a large post, as I'm going to try to post some pictures from each month or big event that I was able to take pictures at. You have been warned! Pictures after the break!

December 2008:

Kid playing pool at Bethany's family Christmas party.

Young girl trying to get to the candy

January and February:
I was in Elmira, NY for most of these months, sans camera. As such, not much in the way of photography went down.

March:
The end of our RPG session.

Waiting on a fantasy draft

April: April was a big month for me. It's the first month that I really started to get out and take pictures for the sake of taking pictures. As such, it's got alot of good moments.

First walk around Lexington taking pictures

The Pit

Sawyer's


Bethany's outside cat from back home, Pumpkin

Flowering Tree in the Arboretum

Man outside at the Farmer's Market

Third Street Stuff

Shoeshine. Rest in Peace man.

Guy with his son in Triangle Park

UK's Engineering Complex

Flying kites at the arboretum

Nancy and Patrick

Child at the fountain at Triangle Park

Unseen Children demonstration

May: May is also a busy month, as it's our family reunion, which I usually end up taking 500-1000 pictures at.
Girl at Mayfest

Sketch artist at Mayfest

Church on Short Street

A girl and her ball.

Girl peeking around at Memorial Day

Dad being...well...dad.

Lil' Slugger

June:
One of my favorite pictures in downtown Lexington, the Triangle Park fountains

Downtown at night, after a storm

Two men at the Gay Pride Festival in downtown Lexington.

Dancer during the Gay Pride Festival in downtown Lexington.

July:
The weather didn't cooperate well for the 4th, but I was able to get a few good pictures.

Father and son at the 4th of July

August: Bought a house in August, and spent most of the month moving/working on things/etc. No pictures worthy of posting from this month, sorry :(

September:
The hotel room in Gatlinburg we stayed in.

The view from our hotel room in Gatlinburg

Stingrays at the Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokeys

Disappointed kid at the Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokeys

Nancy's Wedding:
My friends Nancy and Patrick got married, and this was honestly the moment where I felt the most defeated as a photographer. I tried to photograph a friend's weddding (luckily, she had hired a professional, but she was glad I came), and it ended badly. The lighting in the Tates Creek Ballroom is horrendous, and most of the pictures came out yellow. It's the most work I've had to do in post processing, and it really shook my confidence. Below are some of the results.

Nancy and a bubble

Jessica contemplating a bubble

The couple's first dance.

Nancy and her niece

The photographer's camera amazed this young boy

Holy crap we got a Wii!

October: The following are pictures from the Lexington Cemetery, as well as pictures from Halloween. The pictures from the Halloween event are the first time I shot in RAW, as it's the first time I had a program that could handle it (Photoshop CS4).

Military graves at the Lexington Cemetery.

Grave at the Lexington Cemetery

Me in the mirror, in my Professor Farnsworth costume.

Patrick as a part of the KISS army

Amy's spiderweb cookies. This photo was featured as the Photo of the Day on allrecipes.com!

November:

Pedway between Victorian Square and Triangle Center.

Pedway between Victorian Square and Triangle Center.

Dad's Farmall Cub he worked so hard to restore.

Aunt Nora Lee's house

2 comments:

  1. I love that picture of me and the bubble. It's all kinds of fun. :)

    Also, I am tempted to get prints of several of your photos and hang them on the wall. Just as soon as we find out if we can hang stuff, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want Halloween cookies!!! :)

    ReplyDelete